Thursday, March 8, 2012

International Women's Day

Today was celebrated as International Women's Day.

Honestly?

Don't people know every day is International Women's Day?

And International Men's Day.

And International Kid's Day.

Heck, if I had it my way, every day would be International Cadbury Easter Egg Appreciation Day.
Just to prove a point. (Chocolate likes to be appreciated too.)

It's interesting, isn't it? That we have to set aside days, even months, to acknowledge our appreciation for one group of people or another.

I don't celebrate Valentine's Day. Not really. I have too much joy, compassion, empathy, and yeah, love- to bank it all on one measly day. There are too many people in my life that I love too deeply and sincerely to ilk out my meaning for them in flowers, cards, and candy before the sun goes down on February 14th.

I don't celebrate Black History Month. I don't see the need to- not because I'm racist, because I'm not. If I were racist it would be easy to sequester my knowledge of the Civil Rights Movement into just twenty-eight days. But I can't. There are too many people in my life, who just so happen to be black, that I love too intensely to limit celebrating them when the government officially sanctions me to do so.

If I thought I could get away with it, I would give people gifts everyday except for Christmas Day. If I thought I could get away with it, I would hide easter eggs on Halloween, and go Trick-or-Treating during Mardi Gras.

I will, however, always enjoy a good pint of Guinness on St. Patrick's Day. (I can't help it. But in my defense I'm Irish the rest of the year, too. ;) )

But. BUT.

I can't think of anything more important going on in the world right now, than how women aren't being treated like the celebration we are. Right here in my home state of Virginia, a place that I love so much, there has been nothing but controversy. This state, which was named after a woman I'll add, now puts a bad taste in people's mouths.

I have never been so disappointed.

I've also never been more pleased. In the men and women who are standing up and saying, "What the HELL?" In the people who aren't taking shit off of anyone. But doing so without violence. I'm glad to see women realizing that yes, flowers and candle light and romantic gestures are wonderful- but I'd rather have proper contraception and healthcare.

There's a lot more I could say, and I know I am not one to normally give into political ranting, especially on this blog. But some things can't go unsaid.

I'll leave the rest of it up to Eve Ensler, who has done amazing work in ending violence toward women, and leave it at that. :)


1 comment:

  1. I think we may need more of your political rantings here :)

    ReplyDelete