Monday, April 23, 2012

Meter Monday: Jewel


Jewel has been one of my favorite musicians since I first heard "You Were Meant for Me". Yes, it was the line about making a smiley face with the eggs that hooked me. 


When I was fifteen I bought "A Night Without Armor" as a Christmas present to myself. A lot of the poems it contained went right over my lovely, innocent head. But over the years I figured out what the darker content actually meant, and also appreciated the beautiful, triumphant ones even more. 

Tonight I picked up the dog-eared, love worn book and opened it to the first bookmarked page. 


Certain Girls

I am fascinated by
those certain girls
     you know the ones
the women that are always girls
their tiny bodies like
neglected willow trees
     controlled and contorted
which may blow away with
the slightest dissappointment 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. I love this picture of Jewel and knowing that someone else bought "A Night Without Armor" and loved it into dog-eared worn-ness :) I think my first fav of hers was "Hands," but know it was something from the Spirit CD. She is a fascinating, courageous, talented, amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it, Jackie! "Hands" has always been one of my favorites too! I do so love her. <3

    ReplyDelete