Monday, June 6, 2011

Theme Songs

This past November I learned a lot about novel writing by participating in NaNoWriMo for the first time. I will say this of NaNoWriMo: It ain't for sissies. I am not a person who does well under constraints- I like to have plenty of time and plenty of space to spread out and create. I need to make a mess! Then I can worry about tidying up.

One of the more interesting things I learned had nothing to do with the technical side of the writing process, but more of an idea to keep your mind in tuned with your story. That idea was to create a playlist for each character or big event to play in the background while you viciously attacked your keys. I usually keep music playing all the time anyway, so making up playlists wasn't that big of feat.

Then come this weekend, Clara and I were on our way back from seeing "X-Men First Class" (good flick, btw!), when Queen came on the radio.

If you have never been in the company of either Clara or myself when a Queen song comes on, well, you just have never lived. It's quite a spectacle, to be sure.

This time wasn't any different. We flailed, we squealed, we cranked it up until her poor Jeep's speakers could take no more, and properly head banged it out to Bohemian Rhapsody.

Once we'd had our fill of brain-sloshing we talked about our Queen theme songs. Ever since high school, one song still remains my favorite. In that moment I realized, if I were a character in a story, this would be it.





Freddie Mercury, you speak the truth!

So friends, if you were a character in a novel- what would your theme song be?

1 comment:

  1. The more I listen to it, the more I am conviced that mine would be "Goody Two Shoes" by Adam Ant. Which probably doesn't say much for me, but oh well.

    That, or some creepy dark waltz. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete