Monday, January 10, 2011

Write yourself a love note

Go ahead, write a love note...to yourself.

Yesterday the husband, Adam, and I removed our Christmas tree and stopped by Target for a cup of something hot and bleach (not to be used at the same time, of course). Pink, glittery, schmaltzy decorations hung from the ceilings, glared on the counters, and generally made me want to puke. We'd just taken out the Christmas tree, why the Valentine's Day decorations? What did I do to deserve over a month of those things?

Perhaps my animosity is because I'm not the best at giving Valentine's Day presents. Adam is tremendous at it, but his handwritten notes on the cards mean the most. Even if they are spontaneous, occasion-less notes left on stationary pilfered from a work conference, they leave a warm glow over the entire day. They're on my wall as a pick-me-up for down days.

As much as those notes of affirmation and love mean to me, I've never thought to leave one for myself. I have a wall covered in quotes and notes from Adam and friends; many are from Spatulans; and I have an unexpected email of praise printed and stuck to the wall. Thinking about each of these love notes, I gave myself a goal: the next time I feel good about an accomplishment, big or small, I'm writing myself a love note and attaching it to the wall.

Try it. Leave yourself a love note. You deserve it.

2 comments:

  1. The little skeeter takes after his Dad.
    Moskeeto Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this would be an awesome daily practice. Or at the very least a weekly one. Good idea. <3

    ReplyDelete