Thursday, October 14, 2010

Baking Magic

When the idea for creating a blog first concocted itself in my mind I had no idea what to do. I had the name, and I had a subtitle, but that was it. Originally I had thought about making a food blog, (the title being "Fantastic Spatula" seemed all too appropriate).

In the end, as you know, I settled on making it a community blog where we all pitch in our own stories and do what we do best. Which is, well, to write.

Baking is still something that I get an itch to do. I blame this completely (and happily!) on my mom who is a terrific cook! Her fudge and peanut brittle are legendary. And I know a certain someone who has been hankering for a spice cake for his birthday. (Hi, Dad!) 

So tonight instead of sitting down to write more about our much beloved Baba Yaga I decided to do something she too enjoys.

I baked.

Being the beautiful season that it is, I decided that something pumpkin flavored would have to happen. I poked around the internet and found a delightful, and stupidly simple, recipe for pumpkin muffins.

For those among you who love to cook & bake, I'm sure you'll agree with me when I say that baking is a sort of mediation. You follow the recipe and you'll end up with something nom-alicious. While you're busy measuring and mixing ingredients, taste testing, lining tins with paper you're mind goes elsewhere. You tend to forget what hasn't gone right and you let yourself melt like the butter in the saucepan. What part about that isn't magic?

And now! For your drooling pleasure- A little pictorial evidence!





What are some seasonal treats you like to bake?

7 comments:

  1. For those who might like to try the recipe, I found it here: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/easy-pumpkin-muffins/Detail.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been on a pie tear. Apple, quince, rhubarb - all from the family homestead in Northwestern Connecticut, Crosswicks! (My daughter has been known to make me add strawberries to everything.) Thanks for the pumpkin muffin recipe - we will be sure to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummmmmm twas goooooooooooood!
    Moskeeto Jack

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to protest the lack of recipe. Thanks for providing the link. I love to bake. Cookies, Pies, anything that can add to a sugar high. This weekend is a recipe for candy corn cookies (http://thewiveswithknives.blogspot.com/2010/10/candy-corn-cookies.html) to bake with the nieces. Baking is just another form of expression.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Lena, I had rhubarb pie for the first time in South Dakota! A sheltered life, I know. (I'm with your daughter! Strawberries make anything better.)

    @MJ, Yay! Glad you liked them!

    @Leila, Candy Corn Cookies, you say? Now that sounds nom-alicious! I'm with you, sugar highs are wonderful things, no?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look delectable, like your chocolate cupcakes that make me want to build a statue of you (out of cookie dough, of course). I've been on an apple kick lately, baked and fried, but your recipe makes me want to try something new.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pumpkin muffins were sooo yummy!! Thanks my dear.I love fall and winter cooking!

    ReplyDelete