Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Dealing in the Night

As I said last week, the busy season for where I work is heating up; pretty soon I'll be working late evenings and weekends. This wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for my love of research. I get lost in it. Seriously! I started writing this two hours ago and went to look one little thing up. Next thing I know, I'm reading about the decolonization of Africa after WWII. I don't even know.

But this love for research eats up all the little time I should be using for simply writing. So, I'm going to try to make my upcoming stories short for the sake of clarity, and thus they will probably be grossly inaccurate, or at least incredibly vague.  But I should have more time for the actual story, and that's why every one's here right?

Well, then, let's get to it!



"A-choo!"

"What's the matter, slick?" Molls drawled. "You got hay fever or something?"

"How can you see out here? The air is nothing but pollen." Mickey sighed through his handkerchief.

"Well, it keeps city boys like you away. And no one wants to snoop around where they'll get a snoot full of allergies." Molls chuckled as a violent sneeze nearly landed Mickey in the river. "Rudy should have sent someone with a stronger constitution."

Mickey wiped at his watering eyes and tried to look professional. "After your young companion almost gutted his cousin, he thought he'd try someone a little more diplomatic"

Jukka laughed nervously at her mention. Molls shot her a quick glance and returned her eyes to Mickey. "So, what's that old thief after? An apology? He won't get one from us."

"You're his best supplier. He doesn't want a little upset like the near evisceration of his favorite cousin to spoil a good thing. I'm just here to make sure that we can all get along again. Rudy's offering top dollar for anything you've got tonight."

Molls shook her head. "That Rudy always did know how to sweet talk. No haggling? Ok." Molls motioned for Mickey to follow her to the small hold of her boat. "These were especially tough to get past those red-scared goons at the port."

Mickey let out an appreciative whistle. "Madam, on behalf of Rudy and the entire Rita's staff and clientel I would like to say thanks. You're going to make a lot of people very happy."

1 comment: