Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Fortuna plango vulnera

When translated, the title says "I bemoan the wounds of Fortune." It is the opening line to one of the pieces of Carl Orff's brilliant Carmina Burana. I had the good fortune to be able to see this performed last year. It was, to put it simply, perfect.

However, that seems to be the extent of my luck. I found out today that twice, twice mind you, Fortuna (or the Universe, as I like to call it) has denied me what could have been the highlight of my existence. The love of my life, TV's James May, was in fact in the next county over. In a Ferrari. A red one. And I somehow missed him. Twice.

Thanks, Universe.

Admittedly, I was a little heart broken at first. I mean, yes, it is a little odd that the love of my life would turn out to be a 46 year old, slightly pudgy man from Bristol with bad hair and a worse wardrobe, but I adore him. So I sat around and moped. Then I started baking to get my mind off my missed chance.

And then I got over it. Because, you know what? My apartment smells of lemon cookies and Bing Crosby is crooning. Not only that, but I just found out that two friends I haven't seen in a long time will be in town for the holidays. And darnit, it's freakin' Christmas! It's the most wonderful time of the year. There's even a seventy percent chance of having a white Christmas.

(Yes, I'll probably never get another chance to see James in person, but that's ok. I wouldn't have been able to say anything to him anyway, since I am a fruitcake when it comes to love and can never say the right thing.)

Life is pretty awesome right now. Or, as Orff puts it, tempus es iocundum. This is a joyful time.

I sincerely wish that everyone catches my sudden enthusiam and has a truly fantastic holiday.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry we missed the British Invasion! Oh well. At least there should be snow on Christmas! Works for me. :D

    And also- the lemon cookies and Bing combo is fabulous! Very happy inducing. :)

    ReplyDelete