Tuesday, December 15, 2009

It's A Kind of Magic

Y’know, smiles are funny things. There are very few things in this world that can be so versatile.** For instance, a smile can be pleasant, or playful; charming and charismatic. Smiles can mislead and smiles can give the truth away. The good smile and so do the wicked. We smile when we are happy and when we are sad.
For being such a small and effortless thing, smiles have a tremendous power over us. If there is magic in this world, then it must surely exist in the act of smiling.

How else can it be explained that a quick smile turned a dreary Monday morning into a bright happy day?


Some dishy toff gives you the glad eye and you call it magic? Rubbish.

What he looked like is beside the point. The fact is it worked. His smile brightened my morning and put me in a pleasant mood for the rest of the day. And the funny thing is, smiles are contagious. I smiled as I walked into the store after work and the sullen bag boy grinned and nodded.

Wot? Some corker smiles at me, I’d girn like an idiot m'self.

Point is, Alonzo, that my smiling made him smile. And in turn, he made some other miserable soul smile. And in an age where everyone is so self absorbed and oblivious to others isn’t it nice that such a simple gesture can make such a big difference. Isn’t that what magic is about?

A Japanese proverb speaks thus, “Never trust the glory of the morning nor the smiles of your mother-in-law.

Well, you do have a point, Len.











**The only other one I can think of is chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment