Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Better than Fiction

I guess you guys probably noticed a Dren shaped void in last weeks postings. Due to circumstances beyond my control I wasn’t able to write or post anything. Various computer catastrophes (which I am still experiencing) and visiting family members effectively shut down my creative processes and sucked up all of my time.


And you know what? I’m not sorry about it. I had a blast! All last week I was with my parents and my brother, who is home for the summer and that was the most fun I’ve had in a long time. My brother brought his Xbox with him and a variety of games including Fable II and Rock Band, which are my new favorites.

A good chunk of the week was spent playing the games and having everyone laugh at my horrible attempts to navigate the fantasy world in Fable. My character spent more time bumping into the townspeople as saving them. I actually shot a few of them by accident and I still feel terrible about it (and my family still teases me mercilessly). I also may have made my family slightly uncomfortable with my overwhelming glee at acquiring a steel war hammer, but then I ran into a wall and all was right with the world.

The rest of the time was spent around the table eating delicious suppers and talking. Yes, just plain old talking. Or rather, in our case, laughing so hard we all choked on our meals. That was something we hadn’t done in a long time (being together, not choking) and every minute was worth the empty Tuesday slot on Fantastic Spatula. Life gets in the way of art, and sometimes that’s ok.

I did miss writing about those poor people in Dren who seem to be in a balancing act between peaceful living and being torn apart by dark forces. I’ll return to them next week, but for now you’ll have to excuse me. I’ve got to practice my fake guitar so I don’t butcher any more Beatles songs.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes family, friends, and fake guitars are needed to fill the well. What's a little friendly game fire between family members? I'm sure it was accidental (wink, wink). I'll send a sacrifice to the computer gods that your computer may resurrect itself from its fit of despair.

    Enjoy the moments of now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the sacrifice, it is greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. pffffttt. you missed a post big deal. you had good reasons :) and even if you didnt have a "good" reason who cares. i dont. not really. i mean look at the gaps in my post days. this is supposed to be fun! and sometimes other types of fun are needed to fill the dren sized hole in posts. (glad you had fun with your family.. and kick some asp with that rock guitar.)

    ReplyDelete